Possessing the best part of the earth and sea they have, on the whole, aimed to preserve their empire by the exercise of prudence, rather than to extend their sway indefinitely over poverty-stricken and profitless tribes of barbarians, some of whom I have seen at Rome offering themselves, by their ambassadors, as its subjects, but the chief of the state would not accept them because they would be of no use to it.
– Appian of Alexandra, History of Rome: Preface, c. 150
The higher incidence of poverty among immigrants as a group has increased the overall size of the population living in poverty. In 2010, 16.5 percent of those in poverty in the country were immigrants.
– Steven A. Camarota, Immigrants in the United States – A Profile of America’s Foreign-Born Population: Poverty, Welfare, and the Uninsured, Center for Immigration Studies, August 2012
Nevertheless, the 2000 Census shows that immigrants continue to receive every major welfare program at higher rates than native-born Americans.
– Edwin Rubenstein, National Data | Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues, VDare.com, August 19th, 2003
“USDA and the government of Mexico have entered into a partnership to help educate eligible Mexican nationals living in the United States about available nutrition assistance [ed.: food stamps]. Mexico will help disseminate this information through its embassy and network of approximately 50 consular offices.”
– USDA brief, Fat And Furious: Obama Pushes Food Stamps In Mexico, Investor’s Business Daily, July 20th, 2012
Starting with those two policies is not only logical, but will force Democrats to admit they have no intention of ever blocking the border. Their dearest desire is for immigrants to arrive, become dependent on government and start voting Democratic.
– Ann Coulter, Deport the GOP Establishment, AnnCoulter.com, May 1st, 2012
Klein and Elliott also reveal a plan by the progressive think tank Demos to turn the United States Citizenship and Immigrant Services (USCIS) into a full voter registration agency. This would instantly transform “new Americans” into new voters—showing Democrats know exactly what they are doing in their long term plan to elect a new people.
– James Kirkpatrick, Shock! Conservatism Inc. Best-Seller Fool Me Twice Quite Good On Immigration…But Otherwise Clueless, VDare.com, August 21st, 2012
By every measure and every issue – from foreign policy to immigration, the economy to taxes – Hispanic registered voters said they overwhelmingly preferred Obama over his Republican opponent.
– Domenico Montanaro, Obama leads big with Latinos, but enthusiasm still lags, NBC News, August 22nd, 2012
Think of the empire as a cell, and barbarian armies as viruses: Once the empire’s thin outer membrane was breached, invaders had free rein to pillage the interior.
– Andrew Curray, Roman Frontiers – Rome’s Border Walls Were the Beginning of Its End, National Geographic, September 2012