FREEZE, GOPHER!

AWD read an excellent piece by Neal Boortz about what to do after you shoot and kill someone who has broken into your home. No, dudes and dudettes, the answer is not to go after his family next!

America is on a gun buying binge after Hussein’s reelection. Black Friday’s (that’s racist) gun sales set a one-day record. Why? Sh*t! I don’t know….shut up. Well, who the hell needs a reason to buy a gun anyway? But the majority of responsible, law abiding Americans (conservatives) are very concerned Obama will come after the Second Amendment hard. Liberals know they can never completely control the American people as long as we can shoot back.

So what to do if some miscreant makes the mistake of breaking into your domicile and you shoot him like the criminal dawg he is? Here’s what Boortz says. I think Boortz is a lawyer (asshole).

Step #1: Tell your wife (or anyone else in your house) to get into the bathroom or a back bedroom and stay there until either you or the police come to get you.

Step #2: Call 911 and tell them the following, “Someone has been shot in my house. I am going to perform CPR.” Then set the phone down next to the body. DO NOT HANG UP. Proceed to do CPR with 911 listening and recording. Make it audibly clear that you are performing CPR, “C’mon buddy, breathe.”

Step #3: As soon as the police arrive, they will tell you to come out of the house. Tell them that you are performing CPR and cannot leave until you are relieved. Once a medical professional relieves you, stand up and let them take care of the debris.

Step #4: When the police come into your house they will most likely ask you “What happened here?” The first words out of your mouth should be “I was afraid for my life.” When they ask if anyone else is in the house, tell them “Yes, my wife is in the bathroom. I was afraid he would attack her, so I told her to hide there until you came.”

Step #5: The police will then ask you more questions. Don’t answer. The next words out of your mouth should be, “I don’t feel good. I feel nauseous. I need medical attention.” At that point, the questioning should be over as the ambulance hauls you to the hospital.

Step #6: Once you arrive at the hospital, call your lawyer. Say nothing more to the police.
Why the instructions? Because there is surely going to be someone out there who is going to start whining and moaning about their dead boyfriend, husband, son, buddy, whatever. You are going to be painted as a gun-happy violent killer who needlessly took another life. If you take the steps above it will be clear that you did only what you had to do to protect yourself and your property. Remember — there will be an audio recording for the police and the prosecutors to listen to, and for your attorney to present as evidence if need be, which will show you desperately trying to save the predator’s life after you found it necessary to shoot him to save yours.

AWD has had several cop friends tell me to never say anything to a policeman except “I want to speak to my lawyer” if you ever shoot a bad guy. You’ll be hyped-up and talkative and you’ll end up saying something some slimy attorney will be able to twist to make it look like you’re the bad guy. Boortz’ advice is good because it gives the illusion that you give a sh*t for the dead criminal you have rescued from a life of crime. I wonder if a double-tap center mass with one to the forehead would be suspicious?

No article about guns would be complete without a link to AWD’s “Gun In Every Room” policy.

Things could get crazy around America over the next several months. You definitely need to think about what happens after you’re forced to shoot a bad guy. There will be legal consequences unless the country devolves into total anarchy, which is doubtful. Too many guns in the able hands of good guys for that to happen. So be prepared!

AWD believes in the Lord and his loyal servant, John Browning.

1. Excellent advise…no two ways about it!

2. Can you perform CPR if the guy’s missing a head?

• LOL…can’t help it.

Btw…I love the picture AWD used here too.

• Good for a double tap!

• Quartier LeBlanc says:

Is that more good advice or something you learned from Col. Jeff?

• Clue me in–what is this “Col. Jeff” stuff?

• Quartier LeBlanc says:

Jeff Cooper was a gunwriter and self appointed expert and instructor in firearms, mainly pistol craft. Unfortunately Cooper is the Peter Capstick of handgun fighting. He’s credited as being the father of the ” Modern Method” of combat pistol shooting. Also unfortunately, Law Enforcement pistol hit rate in gunfights plummeted as a result. Cooper’s bio and credentials are largely suspect, even his wiki profile keeps changing years after his death. Cooper was really nothing more than a gunwriter looking to cash in. He took other people’s ideas, codified what he liked and took credit for it. He was never a real competitor, was never in a documented gunfight, never a police officer, a designer or a gunsmith. In fact almost no one can remember Cooper shooting anything except his mouth. He was the ultimate self promoter, who had other people construct a biography that has never been corroborated by anyone. His personal dealings with many in the gun industry are fraught with personal conflict when he began believing his own BS. In short a very flawed individual with a reputation that was largely unearned and mostly made up.

• Red, Colonel Jeff Cooper founded and ran a gun training facility in Arizona called Gunsite. He was an advocate of the 1911 .45 ACP handgun. Many love him, many don’t. Usually the battle lines are drawn around each individuals love of the 1911.

awd

• Quartier LeBlanc says:

AWD,

It’s really more than that. Cooper is the epitome of what is wrong with America even though he was ” on our side.” After all, just look at some of the BS credentials that have been inflicted upon us. We have a POTUS who not only will not show a credible birth certificate, but has a hard time finding his report cards from high school through law school. Bill Clinton is often mentioned as a Rhodes scholar by the MSM but he was only a candidate who never completed the course of study. JFK may be the only man who ever won a Pulitzer for a ghostwritten book. ( Profiles in Courage )
            The gun world, like the rest of the world, has been inhabited by more than a few wannabes, charlatans, and less then desirable individual. These range from the previously mentioned Todd Woodard of “Gun Tests” to Michael Bane who thinks he’s the Ashley Hamilton of the gun world. Gabe Saurez is a convicted felon who does happen to be a first class instructor and writer. Chuck Taylor, a guy I like and agree with on guns and tactics, has had his share of issues including questions about his persona and “what did he really do in the war.” Cooper took it to a whole new level when it came to BS and this is continuing through his estate. Of the many Cooperisms, one of my favorites is that he said and had others say he was the Editor of Guns and Ammo. What he really was an Editor at Large, which means a freelancer who had control over his own content. Peterson Publishing would have never put Cooper into anything that remotely had to do with being in charge because he was such a loose cannon. Instead they gave him a meaningless title and put his column on the last page where it could be ignored. I’m really surprised that the anti-gunners have never come out with a hit piece on ” Colonel Jeff” because it would have so easy to do. I know this is a bit off the subject, but my point is to show the American people will buy into just about anything without looking real hard into the product.

• RedStaterNYC says:

Thanks both. I learn something new here every day.

Interesting overall point: the dilettante who mistakes himself as a professional is perhaps more dangerous than an infiltrating saboteur. At least the saboteur’s lies can be detected. Takes a much shrewder eye to detect the misinformation of someone who genuinely believes he’s spouting expertise.

I take heed of this because I am nothing if not a pathetic dilettante.

• Kansas Gun Girl says:

Excellent point, Red!!

• If he is missing a head and the 911 operator asks if he is dead, tell the operator your not a doctor and unqualified to make that determination.

• Louisiana Steve says:

Now that’s funny!

3. The chances of this happening are getting stronger every day.When the collapse comes and the Obamaphone people run out of food stamps the shit is going to hit the fan!

• Actually the food stamp clowns may try to come to my gunfight – and by all means bring your phone – even bring yo 15 phones if you like..

Actually I am pretty safe – there are only 3 black people in the whole County and they couldn’t find my house anyway because they probably can’t read much less read a map.

And I have plenty of ammo !

• Yeah really, the easiest way to make people weak is to ‘help’ them.
      Now what?

• Louisiana Steve says:

Actually, it’s the worthless food stampers that will clean out the shelves at Walmart first, leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves.

4. Wait, DON’T go after his family? How else are you going to prevent the civil lawsuit from the “he was a good boy who was turning his life around’s” family?

5. What to do with the gun though? I mean do I unload it and toss it across the room? I know I wouldn’t want it within arms reach when the cops arrive.

6. Rides A Pale Horse says:

If asked to explain the double tap to the forehead or center body mass, do NOT use the phrase,

“Well he said he wasn’t dead but you know how those mother f***ers lie”.

7. So I guess stripping the thug of jewelry, weapons and any other useable items is not advisable.

8. How about stuff the body in a large garbage bag with the help of a trusted friend. Take refuse OH I mean body to a large municipal land fill and forget. Just kidding.

10. The way the law works now, I wouldn’t call the police.Criminals have all the rights,I’d drag the sob into the woods .Let the critters gnaw on him until a deer hunter or hiker finds him. No fuss no muss,case closed.

11. lock and load………shoot to kill……PERIOD!

12. I think think that the part about CPR is misguided. It shows remorse for the shooting, which can be used to argue that you didn’t really fear for your life.

In Louisiana, you can only shoot someone if you fear for your life, or the life of others. Firing a warning shot is disallowed since it “proves” you didn’t really fear for your life. In fact it will get you convicted of Assault with a Deadly Weapon even in a legitimate self defense situation. I’ve been told this by cops and concealed carry permit instructors. And actually the concealed carry class in Louisiana ought to be renamed the “avoiding legal liability if you ever have to shoot someone class”, because that’s practically all that is taught.

With that stated, I think performing CPR (or even just pretending to) will cast some doubt on wether or not you feared for your life.

Points 4 and 5 are solid and I’ve known them for years.

• What you think about CPR and the reality are different. Do the CPR until relieved, save yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees, I have talked to my lawyer, he said exactly what Streetcop and Bortz said. He makes a living defending shootings. $40-50K and up to start. Thats on a good shooting, a bad one where you showed neglect for the person shot is gonna be out of the ball park. Firing a warning shot is for movies, where I live its a felony, reckless endangerment. Give them CPR head or not, and don’t move the victim at all.

• Quartier LeBlanc says:

I just don’t envision you paying 200 bucks an hour talking to a lawyer about this. Maybe you had a seance with Col. Jeff.

• I think this may be a difference in State laws.

In Louisiana, if you shoot a burglar on your property almost all DA’s are going to wash their hands of it very quickly. No need for a $40-50K attorney (though consulting with an attorney would still be prudent).

Just remember “I feared for my life”, and don’t do anything that might make someone second guess that claim.

• CPR on a bleeding stranger? Who might have some icky blood-borne dirty-needle illness?

Frankly, I can’t imagine even going NEAR the guy — except to roll him enough to shove towels under him so he doesn’t ruin my rug.

• PAmadwoman
        Blood born pathogens. even osha training teaches to not touch anyone bleeding or losing any body fluids without rubber gloves on.

13. I want bad guys apprehended and given justice as much as anyone else, so please don’t interpret my following words as suggesting that citizens should conceal the truth and not reasonably cooperate with the authorities. But with that said, I highly recommend that you DON’T automatically assume that the investigators at such a scene will have your best interests at heart. Follow closely the advice given in the article, and emphasize continuously that you were ‘in fear for your life,’ that you ‘knew he was going to kill you’ and that you ‘had to stop the threat and danger’ you were in – or along those lines. Those are important words that establish your state of mind at the time, and they may actually save you from spending sometime with Bubba in the pokey! They are vital ‘buzz words,’so to speak, that you must not ignore.

DON’T talk to the police. Tell them you won’t say anything until you talk to your lawyer – and then shut your damn mouth if you have any sense of preservation and common sense about you! In real life, when most criminal cases are solved, they are not necessarily solved because the investigator is so clever (as on TV). Rather, it’s because people start to talk, start to open up and think they can out-talk the investigator. They can’t, and they don’t.

NEVER forget that the police investigators are human and they can just as equally screw up their investigation of your shooting as they can to clear you from any criminal liability. If there is any public pressure against you because of it (especially if involves one of their dear ‘minorities’), the police investigation can easily turn into a political zoo with you cast as the villain.

Listen folks, as a police officer of many years, even WE are urged in an officer-involved shooting to give only a brief summary and then say NOTHING until we get legal representation! WE have all sorts of legal protection and they must jump through several hoops before they can even start to interrogate us – but the average citizen doesn’t. So protect yourself! There are many good law enforcement officers in our country, but there are many incompetent ones too.

DON’T ever assume that the government (whether State or Federal) is your friend looking out for what’s best for you. This is especially true with Dear Leader at the helm!

• Quartier LeBlanc says:

Bingo, just look at the most recent self defense shooting in Florida which has been listed as another so called “Trayjon Martin” incident.

14. No body wants to be another George Zimmerman.

15. How utterly depressing that (taxpaying) America has to resort to this kind of survivalist mentality, since our fundamentals of security are rapidly eroding away…

16. 1st) grab your throwaway gun out of the drawer.
    2nd) place it in dead guys hand.
    3rd) fire throwaway towards where you were standing at beginning of encounter.
    4) proceed with AWD’s steps as above.
    5) live the rest of your life a free man – as you should!

Attention authorities – the above post is satire.
    I would never condone another person committing
    an illegal act.

17. I’d definitely be using item #4. “Officer I have a history of heart problems, my LAD is 100% blocked and I’m having chest pains. I need my nitro!”

18. AWD,

Step #7 just in case… you shot the intruder in the back as he was fleeing from your home. Drag him back into the house… then turn him over and fire a bullet into his chest trying to match the hole where you shot him in the back. Quickly wash the blood off the front porch or back deck, then go to steps #1 thru #6.

• You better use a 12ga with 00. Normal exit wounds are worse than entry wounds.

• Actually AWD… damn good advice. I would have never thought about laying the phone down and trying to make it sound like you were helping the intruder… something to definitely think about.

• Good Lord, Paul, that’s not good advice! Not only will it be incredibly OBVIOUS what you’ve done, but you will be seen as the ‘suspect’ and the assumption will be that you were at fault and even trying to conceal your ‘crime.’

Anything done or moved at the scene of a shooting is rife with evidence and DNA is most cases. Homicide investigators are not stupid and they’ve seen such things before. You would not be fooling anyone if you moved the body. It doesn’t matter if you quickly washed the blood off the front porch or whatever, it would eventually be discovered.

The best thing to do is to make certain that you’re justified in the first place if you’ve chosen to use deadly force. Even if it appears that you shot him in the back, this can be justified and explained as well. It’s not an automatic ‘guilty’ verdict if it occurred in this way. Just make sure to get the best damn lawyer you can possibly afford. Make sure you articulate your reasons for using deadly force as persuasively and carefully as possible. Make clear what state of mind you were in and how you were forced to use deadly force because you were “in grave fear” for your life and safety. Don’t get smart, get racial or get cute with the investigators. Oh, and don’t forget to NOT saying anything without your attorney present! Yeah, I know, I hate them too – but they might just save your butt in court!

• Don’t think you would need a lawyer if the man broke into your home and you shot him.

• Don’t kid yourself, PaulB. You are at a crime scene, there’s a body, and you pulled the trigger. Even if it was perfectly justifiable, and you’re ultimately absolved of any wrongdoing, don’t think you won’t need legal advice (and possibly representation) in the meantime. You can exercise your right to remain silent even if the police “just want to talk to you,” and that’s what I’d politely tell them until I at least got my lawyer on the phone. Cops are like anyone else, they can get wrong impressions and act on wrong assumptions. Better safe than sorry.

• I wanted to add a couple of more points to this entire discussion that I think may help to clarify some things if you end up using deadly force:

1. NEVER say to an investigator that you were shooting “to kill the guy” or “take out the son-of-a-bitch” or words to that effect. Don’t use racial words or derogatory terms against your deceased assailant because it suggests that your motive in employing deadly force was based on personal hatred or racial discrimination. The investigator will likely have you pegged as some sort of gun nut at the outset, and you don’t want that. Instead of saying you wanted to “kill” the guy, say something like “I was just trying to stop him from killing me and my family” or “I didn’t want to, but there was no other way,” etc. Don’t shoot to kill, shoot to STOP! This is the idea you want to convey to them.

I know it sounds a bit too politically-correct (and it is), but this is how you speak when dealing with law enforcement investigators. This is kind of ‘speech’ that helps prevent you from sharing a warm cell with Bubba!

2. NEVER say anything to the authorities without your attorney present. The police WILL use it against you. Be polite, be respectful and wait for your attorney before you open your mouth. If you are justified in your shooting, it will be discovered. But you must make certain not to dig yourself deeper into problems at the outset by letting your lips flap to the ‘kind and empathetic’ investigator. They really do want to be your ‘friend, but its not the kind of friend you want.

3. MAKE CERTAIN you know how to use your weapon properly and that you are proficient with it. Know the gun laws in your city or state.

4. DON’T get caught using a weapon on an intruder that’s out of compliance or illegal. You might be justified in your actions, but the authorities are going to look for a way to punish you for using an illegal weapon or modified parts that are not lawfully permitted.

Hope this helps in some way!

• Yeah…and once the forensics team realizes you’ve tampered with the crime scene? Good luck defending that one in court…any reasonable plea of self-defense just went bye-bye.

Anyone following this advice should invest in lots of soap-on-a-rope.

19. Just put this sign in your yard.

20. EFF Neal Boortz…and the camel he rode in on!

• time to start picking off the god-damn Muslims…..time to get them all…..every last one of them……any that escape had better find a way back to the desert and find it fast……….

• eff that child molesting false prophet Muhammad… may the fleas of a thousand camels find his dwelling

21. HighlanderJuan says:

I think it is also important for you to indicate that you retreated before you fired and that you fired in his general direction. This clearly separates you from the concept that you are the aggressor.

22. Here’s what Boortz says“…

Hmmm, well I guessed wrong…

I would’ve thought that emptying the clip into the motel/foxtrot would’ve been the answer…

Live & learn…

23. Another idea

Seeing as I live on a large farm in the middle of the stix, know my local police quite well & have a good neighbor who owns a pig farm I could simply let the animals solve the problem while I buy my neighbor a beer.

24. Dont follow the lead of England that allows someone to break into your home and ransack the place becuase of their nambdy pambdy parlament First they consicated and destroyed all the privatly owned firearms then they abolished all private property becuase of the EUROWEENIE UNION thats why we have a 2nd AMENDMENT and to totaly reject the UN SMALL ARMS CONTROL TREATY and for america to pull out of this wretched UNITED NATIONS

Just to clear up.. in England you are allowed to use the minimum force necessary to protect your property/family. If you deem minimum force as sticking a 9″ carving knife into the scumbags neck, then that is ok. The problems arise when you remove the knife from his neck and cut his head off with it.

25. Bubbadownsouth says:

All this crap about calling 911 and telling the law that you have wasted some lowlife scum amuses me. Any of you heroes out there know how to work a shovel? Damn!