Okay friends…this will be short and to the point. Are you going to be watching the Super Bowl today between the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers? Do you have a team you’re pulling for…or could you give a rat’s rear less about this game one way or the other?

For the heck of it, since I’m in a hurry before the kick-off, I wanted to share this with all of you and see what you think as well. – This is via Forbes:

According to Nielsen, 111.3 million Americans tuned into last year’s Super Bowl, making the broadcast the most-watched program in U.S. history. In fact, you have to drop down to the fourth-ranked show—the last episode of M*A*S*H in 1983—to find a program that wasn’t a National Football League championship game.

So what’s the problem? Growth is slowing fast. Last year’s audience was only 0.3 million larger than that for the second-ranked show, the 2011 Super Bowl. The 2011 game had an audience 4.5 million bigger than the one for the 2010 Super Bowl, third on the all-time list.

And this year, the number of viewers may actually decline. That’s the forecast of Brad Adgate of Horizon Media, writing on the Ad Age website.

Adgate’s stark prediction could be wrong because this year there is an added element of drama to the game. Fans may want to see which of the Harbaugh brothers, the head coaches for the two opposing teams, hoists the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Yet it appears that the Super Bowl’s phenomenal run in viewership growth is just about over, if not this year then probably next.

And that’s why the NFL has its eye on the country with the largest potential television audience, China. Today, seven Chinese television stations will carry Super Bowl XLVII, and it will also be streamed. Last year, 22 million Chinese fans saw the New York Giants beat the New England Patriots in the NFL’s championship game on television. More than a million watched online.

These numbers mean there is room for growth for the NFL in the world’s most populous nation. After all, on September 30 a simply astounding 520 million people watched a local Chinese talent show, “The Voice of China,” to hear Adam Lambert, the American singer.

The NFL is playing catch-up in China to the NBA and even Major League Baseball. Why? As Richard Young, the NFL’s China managing director, notes, the league started late.

Critics say the league in China is not doing much to catch up as it is primarily focused on increasing viewership and selling merchandise. The NFL, however, is actually laying the groundwork to build a Chinese version of itself. At the moment, teams at six Chinese universities are getting ready to participate in the American Football Union. There are ambitious plans to go to 32 teams, the same as the U.S. league.

There are, however, many obstacles to “American football” in China. For one thing, not many Chinese kids play the game. There are 38 universities participating in a flag-football league, but that’s about it.

And the common wisdom suggests that American football will never succeed in China. Many say the Chinese do not have the body type for the U.S. game—true—that they do not like contact sports—untrue—and that nervous parents are concerned about injuries—only partially true. Moreover, it does not help that American football is not an Olympic event. Curling became a big sport in China because the country’s curlers took home a bronze in Vancouver in 2010 after beating the Canadians.

The NFL’s real problem in China, however, is political. There are two main obstacles for what Forbes has called “the richest sports league in the world.” First, the government controls sports tightly. As a result, the sports where China succeeds are those where the state demands success. Most of them are individual ones, and the few successful team sports, like curling, are not major. Beijing has traditionally supported marginal sports because they have permitted the country to build up its medal count at the Olympics and other international competitions.

In the quest for Olympic glory, the country’s political establishment has neglected children who do not have a chance to podium. The result is no state support for the NFL’s efforts to promote football among the masses. “The concept of recreational and community sports still does not really exist, which is why China, for all its gold medals, rarely produces any results in ‘team’ sports,” says Darrell Barnes, director of Sports Beijing, a non-profit promoting competitive sports programs in the Chinese capital.

Second, the corruption pervading Chinese society, the direct result of its unaccountable political system, has plagued team sports in China, especially the non-American version of football. Soccer in China has its origins in pre-revolutionary Shanghai, where players, coaches, and referees all bet on the game, and gambling poisons the sport post-revolution. Corruption has inevitably infected the notion of team sport in China, and American football has no special immunity. The NFL will have to work overtime to escape the taint and keep its sport clean.

And there is one related political ill. The People’s Republic is said to be a low-trust society, largely because the Communist Party has, in various ways, undermined personal bonds from the beginning of its rule—by encouraging everyone to snitch and by using Party and government spies to keep tabs on society. The Chinese are not culturally ill-suited to team sports, as many have said. It is more accurate to say that the country’s corrosive politics have undermined trust, which is the fundamental building block of teams, sporting ones and others.

None of this is to say the NFL cannot succeed in China. Chinese society at the moment is open, and people can’t get enough of things foreign, as the NBA’s success there attests. Moreover, the continuing failure of the country’s favorite national team—Team China has qualified for only one FIFA World Cup, where it humiliated itself by failing to score a goal—leaves the door open for the Chinese people to find a new sport to love.

The country loves to take to the couch to watch sport. In 2002, when the national team had qualified for the World Cup competition, about 300 million Chinese turned on the television to cheer on the national squad. Just imagine how many in China would tune in to watch a Chinese team compete with an American one in a truly Super Bowl.

Throw your two-cents in…this could be interesting in more ways than one, ya never know! – Fire Away…Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

1. No. Not watching.

2. Can’t watch the dad gummed thing – I’ve boycotted CBS! I’ll probably watch the little football go back and forth on ESPN Go Dot Com.

• AWD was going to watch the ball game but decided to head out and look for ammo.

• Few years back Super Bowl Sunday was my favorite day in the woods/desert. No one was out there. Fishing on lakes was great as there were no water skiers to mess it up.

3. bluffcreek1967 says:

No, I won’t be watching it. I lost my interest in the black-dominated, thuggish character of the NFL many years ago. Plus, by not watching it, I’m showing my protest against the City of San Francisco, a still beautiful but grossly liberal city that stands for everything unAmerican!

One more point. This is my own feeling, so I’m not trying to place any guilt or burden anyone else, but watching the Superbowl while my once great nation is being torn apart by liberals, blacks, and illegal aliens is like fiddling while Rome burns to the ground! I just can’t do it. I’m too disgusted by what I see around me.

I’m taking it easy today, enjoying my wife and kids, eating a good steak and taking in some easy listening tunes from the 50s and 60s (it soothes me and reminds me of a better time period in our history).

• Snake Oiler says:

What is the percentage of African American players in the NFL?

In: Sports › Football › NFL Players

Last February, the NBA’s black-player population was 77 percent, while the white-player population was 21 percent. Of the white players, 55 percent were American-born and 45 percent were international players. ChaCha! A bit more than 70 percent of NFL players are black, only six of the 32 coaches are African-American. ChaCha again!
      Answered – 28 days ago at 3:47pm on Jan 06 2013

• Don’t know why you say San Francisco is still a beautiful city-not so.I am a native San Franciscan(no,we are not all liberal flakes) and still work there but the city,has gone to S%YT.There are homeless all over the place,the streets are dirty,there is graffiti,some parts of the city look like Tijuana with all the mezcans.

4. David in SC says:

Trying to watch but after alicias keys warbled through the Star Spangled banner I was starting to give up, why do they have to do that every time?

• I don’t know. Plus, they had to throw in the kids from Sandy Hook/Newtown singing along with Jennifer Hudson too. – Politics and race never end with the msm’s agenda. – Just play football and leave us alone with all your obvious propaganda.

5. NO! Not since it became a strictly commercial game played by Steroid Addled, Drug Fueled Monkeys hyped on by a bunch if Prog commentators talking a mile a minute about something they wish they could have done. Even the commercials are aimed at the same mentality. Its like 4 hours of mild mannered Cage Fighting. I’d rather watch re runs of Ali’s fights, a real athlete who backed up his talk.

Ignore King Bloomjerks stupid antigun ads tell him to SVOVE IT UP HIS A**

7. What trash the half-time show has become. No class, has nothing to do with race…but this show today has been full of it from beginning up to now. – And what they wear, the moves Beyonce makes is something you’d really want your younger children to see if you’re all watching together.

I don’t know, I’ve never been a fuddy-duddie, but what I see anymore makes me puke.

Btw…when is the last time you really enjoyed a half-time show on Super Bowl Sunday, or did you all like this performance by Beyonce?

• David in SC says:

Trash is as trash does, you’d think blacks are the majorityin this country. How many qualified athletes that can read and write have left the sports field because of athletic affirmative action?

• Cinnamon Girl says:

BT, I’m far from a fuddy-duddy, having done wardrobe, hair, and makeup for some fairly racy (yet tasteful) pin-up photo shoots for some time now. However, I do think the half-time shows and other nationally broadcasted events should be more wholesome and family friendly.

In general, I think hip hop culture has ruined many of our youth if not also the older set. The constant use of curse words (again, I’m not technically against those, either, except that they’re used in place of thinking before one speaks), the show of skin, the jargon, are detrimental to us all now that they’ve become so mainstream.

Also, I lost all respect for Bee-yon-say when she and Z closed an entire hospital wing for the birth of their baby and when she came out so strongly for O that she used what my mom would call “ugly” words for Romney. I’d hoped for better than that from a young woman who’s obviously worked hard for her success.

8. I drop in here every so often so see what piddly Micky Mouse crap you guys your panties in wad about next…

As this thread shows..you never disappoint. LOL

9. WTH!…power problems in New Orleans! Must be Bush’s fault!!!

Back in the 70s they came out witha football cartoon WHERES HUDDLES its about these two guys who are like nextdoor neighbors who played football for a team called THE RHINOS there was also this big black guy what was a teamate and a busy body neighbor sticking his nose into their lives the family lived ina home shaped like football stadium and drove a football shaped car they had this big funny dog that wore football shoes and a helmet

11. Rides A Pale Horse says:

Superbowl? What the Hell is that? Some kinda huge toilet?

Took mama out to the range today instead. She got 75% out of 100+ rounds in the black. Not bad for her third time out.

She was having so much fun I didn’t even shoot.

Didn’t want her to show me up……..

If they had a football game between CAMPBELLS and PROGRESSO would they call it the SOUP BOWL? If they had a football gam between KELLOGGS and POST or GENERAL MILLS would they call it the CEREAL BOWL?

13. Cinnamon Girl says:

Because I am a guest at my mom’s house currently, I watched it along with her and some family members.

To me, it and all championship games, if not all games, are possibly or even probably fixed so I knew without a doubt that Baltimore would win.

Immediately after watching the Brothers Harbaugh hug each other I turned the channel because I couldn’t bear to watch Ray Lewis for a second longer. I’ll leave ya’ll to guess why.

14. Too darn politically correct for me. Chris Culliver should have told the 49ers and the NFL to stuff it and not apologize for his remarks.

15. This would be funny if it weren’t so serious. – During last nights game the power went out and the game didn’t resume until about fourty minutes later. It was weird watching the lights come back on, it did so little by little. I told my other half I betcha this power problem has something to do with the greenie-weenies….and sure enough!

16. Dear Leader sends a message ~

…and since China is included in the blog post I’m throwing this in too.

17. Why does he always have to insert himself everywhere…even the Super Bowl, once again.

Disgusting to say the least!

18. C’mon, it is your civic duty to be engrossed in the ‘bread and circuses’ -so you do not notice that the Empire is being overrun with savage barbarians…

And, no; like many of you I chose to find something else to do other than watch a bunch of illiterate ‘college graduate’ millionaires play with their balls…