AWD received an email today from Ammo For Sale.com asking for help from the Big Sexy with a study they’re putting together on which is the best handgun caliber between the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Well, since AWD has all three (even though the 9mm is a comm-a-nist caliber), I thought I’d submit my opinion to them.

There’s been an ongoing debate for thousands of years between the 9mm and the .45. I like this one because it throws the .40 S&W into the mix.

Ammo For Sale wrote:

1. Tell me which caliber you think is best and why: 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP. Please feel free to be as detailed or as ambiguous as you like. We realize you might have a preferred caliber for specific purposes, so feel free to say under what circumstances you’d choose that caliber.

2. Share your favorite caliber’s survey with your audience (Google+, Facebook, and Twitter are fine too). If we can get people who are passionate about shooting to take a few minutes for the survey, we’d end up with some truly useful data to pass along to our readers, and we’ll share all of that data with you once we have it compiled:

Here’s the address if you believe the 9mm is the best (you’ll be asked why)

Here’s the address for the .40

And here’s the link if the .45 is your choice:

Want to know AWD’s opinion on the matter? Well, I ain’t gonna tell you. All right! If you’re going twist my damn arm off! I chose the .40. I like my Glock 23 for the concealability, magazine capacity and stopping power. I also like it because I can shoot that sumbitch like a big dog. I like my new Remington R1 Enhanced a whole lot and do pretty well with it but it’s too big for carry except when hog hunting. That’s my opinion. Want to fight about it?

Y’all can weigh in about your opinions on these calibers. If you agree with AWD about the .40, then you’re right. If you don’t, you’re wrong. If you choose the 9 mm, aren’t you better off over at MSNBC.com and taking a bubble bath? Actually, I believe half-a-sissy Chris Hayes of MSNBC shot a 9mm once…and then cried.

Maybe ammoforsale.com is just looking for some free traffic from the 90TH MOST POPULAR CONSERVATIVE BLOG IN THE WORLD under the guise of a useful survey. Well, AWD doesn’t care! I like anyone in the gun and ammo bidness except those tools at Cheaper Than Dirt and Dicks Sporting Goods! Maybe ammoforsale.com will even throw the AWD a hundred rounds or so of .223 that we all can enjoy in a few weeks at Dude-a-Palooza! I’m gonna show you sumbitches just who can draw a bead at the Palooza!

And for your aural enjoyment, I’m going to post a video of a Texas patriot who was on the pitiful, libtarded David Letterman show last night. AWD’s favorite honky-tonker, Dale Watson singing “I Lie When I Drink (and I drink a lot).” I heard Dale beat Letterman and his gay sidekick to death with his guitar after the show.

AWD got to sing onstage with Dale a few years ago when I requested one of his early songs and he couldn’t remember all the lyrics. He invited AWD up on stage to help him out and didn’t have to ask twice. This is the song and it’s a good ‘un. “Burning In My Mind.”

1. AngryFrench says:

I personally prefer the .357mag with my S&W 686 plus 6 in barrel. I do own a .40 cal Sig P226 as well.
    The .357mag 125gr hollow point is the best “one shot one kill” handgun ammunition. It has the perfect ratio of velocity/mass for killing a human being. The .40 cal is my second choice, as it is the best compromise in between a .45 acp and a 9mm. The 9mm has plenty of penetration power, but no stopping power… and the .45 acp has plenty of stopping power, but no penetration power (you are lucky if it make it through a wind-shield). What matters most anyway, is placement, you can drop a man at 50 yards with a .22 cal in the head.
    As per my experience as a police officer, I do not like Glocks, because they are too light once the magazine is half empty, and therefore you lose accuracy. That’s why I was relying on a Sig Sauer P226, it feels a lot more respectable than a Glock in my hands. I refuse the buy any Plastic guns (polymer = fancy name for plastic).
    I would not bet my life on plastic guns. I don’t want to offend all the plastic gun lovers, it is just my personal preference.
    Whether you use 9mm, .40 , .45 acp or .357mag, they have all their purpose it is a matter of personal preferences (but the science shows that .357mag is the best)

2. I’m a .45 ACP man myself, with the S&W .40 (JHP of course) following in close second. What can I say, I loves me some hot M1911 action. Always have, always will.

Seriously though, 9mm? If someone breaks into my home and threatens my family I’m not putting clean, neat little holes in their body – I’m gonna shoot something that can punch innards through the exit wound and can take limbs off at the joints.

• AngryFrench says:

The .45 acp is awesome for personal defense, but law enforcement went with the .40 cal because of the penetration problem of the .45 acp through wind-shields.
      At least with the .45 acp, there is no risk to kill the neighbor as it won’t go very far after dropping the bad guy.

• They are using the wrong ammo. 230 grain bonded Golden Sabers by Remington were designed to got through windshields and car doors and then give you minimum 14″ penetration. I use them, they work great in 45ACP. I tested them well on old cars. Golden Sabers were developed for the FBI to do as stated. I use them in Glock 21 and Sig 220. My wife who is 89 pounds shoots her 220 on par with any shooter. I like 45ACP because its a low pressure cartridge and has proven very good at one shot stops out to 40 yards with Golden Saber or Hydro-Shok. I am one of The Big is Better persons. Both of us like the 357 in 125 grain as alternates, very snappy and hard on old arthritic wrists. 40 is too hard on my hands also. My son likes 40, its a DHS round. In Golden Saber its nasty.

• I was a .45 man for years, to the extent of having Wayne Gibbs make me a custom bullet mold for a 230gr version of the long nosed, #68 swc. However, shooting scores of animals proved that the .45 doesn’t amount to much, compared to the recoil control problems that it causes with lw, compact ccw guns. Nobody ccw’s a gov’t much, for long. It’s just too heavy and bulky to bother with. Lots more people LIE about it than do it. :-)Just like millions have lied about what .45 ball “did” in combat. I went with a Kahr CM9, using CorBon’s 100 gr jhp, 1300 fps from that 3″ barrel, 400 ft lbs, real expansion, controllable in rapidfire, and quite “carryable” in a kydex front pants pocket rig, the fastest ccw draw possible. (hand in pocket start).

(-1)
  3. ^ mistakenly left out of my second paragraph: “I’d rather find a way to fire 7.62s from a handgun.”

• peedoffamerican says:

You can. Even get barrels for .308, .300 mag, 30-06, etc., but the only problem is that it’s a single shot.

4. The 9 is only good for a pocket gun IMHO. For deep cover, wimmerns with small hands, or limp-wristed lady men such as Chris Matthews or Barak Obama, not that they would ever own one (that they would admit).
    Wont be getting a 40–just because I’m not going to spend the $ for reloading equip
    The 45 is my baby, big heavy slugs make big bloody holes. I’ a fat bastid anyway so weight is of no importance, and since I live in a constitutional carry state, I dont need to worry about concealability. When I do need to conceal, I just go to one of my smaller frame guns, like a P12 (para-ord) or a Colt Officer.

BTW, ACP is mistakenly thought to mean Automatic Colt Pistol, it really means America’s Commie Preventer! Cant beat that with a stick in my book. But in reality, a pistol is what you use to fight your way to a battle rifle, preferably something in the 7.62×51 variety.

(-3)
  5. I was using my S&W M&P 45, but my under the belt holster put it in a less advantageous spot. I use a Glock 26 now. I’m a cheap ass and don’t want to spend alot on a nice holster so the fobus is good enough for what I’m doing. Its quick and dirty.

6. bluffcreek1967 says:

As a police officer, I prefer the .40 S&W for two important reasons: (1) In a full sized Glock or Sig, you can carry at least 15 rounds. You can’t carry that many with a .45 ACP; and (2) The .40 S&W is a round that has both high velocity and great take-down power. Granted, it’s not as much as the .45 ACP round in stopping-power, but it’s close.

In my opinion, by virtue of the amount of rounds that one can carry – and – in light of its velocity and stopping power that’s almost on parity with the .45 ACP, the .40 S&W wins it for me. I view it as the best overall for home defense and patrol use.

I admit that shot placement trumps everything else, but how many of us are that accurate when confronted with a moving target during a stressful encounter? I’d prefer to have the extra rounds that’s available in a full-sized Glock or Sig.

As far as the 9mm is concerned, I’m not a big fan of it because it just doesn’t have the punch that the .40 and .45 has. I used to carry a Beretta 92FS 9mm, and although I loved my Beretta pistol, I couldn’t stand the 9mm round I was forced to use on duty by my agency.

Although I currently carry a Glock 22 (with the Glock 27 as my off-duty weapon), I have to admit that a Sig is a true masterpiece of a handgun (sturdy and totally reliable).

• Sigs are known for reliability. We have gone through almost 20,000 rounds in two 220’s with no malfunctions, period. Thats with every commercial ammo out there, no reloads though.

• FYI,FNH makes a 45acp that holds 15 rounds and is very easily hidden in the correct owb holster under an un tucked button up shirt…

The better it can send some rapists or ski-masked robber to the pearly gates the better it is

8. Clint Smith said he like FMJ in 45 ACP as it leaves 2 big holes to bleed out from.

9. peedoffamerican says:

I actually prefer the 10 mm round. You know the one that was pussified by the FBI so feminine type males and females could handle it easier. And it became known as the .40 Smith $ Wesson.

Although it was selected by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1989 for field use from the aftermath of the 1986 F.B.I. Miami Shootout, the cartridge was phased out after their Firearms Training Unit eventually “concluded that its recoil was excessive in terms of training for average agent/police officer competency of use and qualification”,[6] and that the pistols that chambered it were too large for some small-handed individuals. These issues led to the creation and following adoption of a shorter version of the 10mm that exists today as the .40 Smith & Wesson. The 10mm never attained the mainstream success of this compact variant, but there is still an enthusiastic group of supporters who often refer to the .40 S&W as the “.40 Short & Weak”.

• Retired fed officer now,and you are absolutely correct in your above statements.
      Politics and pussy officers stopped the 10mm round, and allowed the .40SW to be the official caliber.
      For bedroom night incursions, I keep a .357 MAG revolver handy, because it is easy and quick, and keeps fumbling to a minimum.

10. peedoffamerican says:

Also the 9mm used with Niclad ammo is excellent. Alternate 2 rounds Niclad for expansion with 1 round FMJ for windshield penetration makes an excellent combo. It’s what I used to carry as an LEO. Or even carry full mag of Niclads and have spare of FMJ’s for penetration of barricaded perps. Doesn’t take but a sec to swap out mags.

• peedoffamerican says:

And for some over awesome, scare the shit out of em when you shoot ’em, I just loves me the Smith .500. When you open up with that baby, ifn you miss em, they still dies of fright. Even if they don’t die of fright, they are easy to track. Just follow the trail of shit that they are excreting! 😆

(-1)
      • Thats good and noisy, I start flinching to soon with .500’s

• peedoffamerican says:

The only thing this piece of artillery lacks is wheels to roll it around on. One thing is fer sure tho, when you open up with it, the enemy knows the war has started. Never had a problem with flinching myself, I love the power. After shooting these, shooting .44 mags seems like almost a .22!

Dad gave me my first pistol when I was 6. A 9 shot .22 H&R revolver with the front sight removed. Damn trigger pull was awful, took just about all I had just to pull it. Got my uncle to do a trigger job and then it was sweet. Shot it until it wore out. Hell, during those days, I could buy the ammo myself at the local general store. Everytime I got a dime, would buy a box of 50. Picked up bottles from the road for 3 cents apiece. Then mowed yards,etc.

11. TiminKuwait says:

For me, a 9. The whole argument that goes, “well you can hit a druggie all day long with a 9 and he’ll keep coming at you but a 45 will put him down with one shot” is crap. I know plenty of LEOs and special ops guys who will take a 9 over a 45 any day for the simple fact of extra ammo. In fact I read of a narco cop who was an avid 45 guy until he learned first hand that a 45 isn’t the stop all for every occasion. He switched to a 9 so he had more ammo in the magazine and could carry more on his person.

Frankly, it really comes down to how good of a shot you are. A head shot with a .22 will bring someone down. A center mass shot with any caliber is only as good as what organ you hit.

This is all just my opinion. I respect those who differ with me. But I’ll always have more ammo on me than a .45 guy;)

• peedoffamerican says:

When I was on the force in south Dallas, we had an officer involved shooting with a .44 mag. Officer went on a domestic and was attacked by scumbag boyfriend with a knife and high on PCP. Officer shot perp 4 times point blank in chest, taking out the spleen, heart, liver, and one kidney. Perp continued to slash and stab the officer until his 5th shot in the head. Allen Jones, the Dallas Co. coroner at the time said that any of the first 4 rounds should have been immediately fatal. Since the perp was high on horse trank, he was literally dead on his feet, but his brain just didn’t know it. Officer came close to bleeding to death himself from knife wounds.

• TiminKuwait says:

I always go for head shots. Since most handgun battle are between 7 and 10 feet, there really is no reason NOT to practice for primarily head shots. Not too many get up from the first head shot and none get up after the second one.

Aim small miss small!!

• peedoffamerican says:

But my all time favorite gun for self defense is the Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and collapsing stock. 8 rounds of 3″ magnum .00 buck. I have seen perps literally surrounded with pistols covering them refuse to give up. When I rack a round in that shotgun all the fight just magically leaves them cause they know that they will die for sure. 15 .32 caliber pellets striking at one time have a devastating effect. And with a special sabot slug, you can even shoot thru a brick wall to get them.

12. Kahr is moving fro NY to Pennsylvania. Nice guns have one.

13. peedoffamerican says:

AWD,

I have a couple of comments in moderation. I cleared out my cache and transposed a coupel of letters in my email addy.

14. Dr Poontang says:

I prefer a .45 myself. Even though it does not have the penetration power of other rounds it has one helluva thump! Even if a perp was wearing a vest getting slammed by 230gr. is like a sledgehammer to the chest. It is going to break ribs, knock every bit of wind out of them and put them on their a$$ giving you valuable time to line up for the second tap.

15. Ghostrider says:

Have to agree with many commenters that .45 is the way to go. I’m comfortable with trading off magazine capacity and penetration for more knock down power. A 4″ M1911 is an excellent concealed carry piece due to barrel length and single stack magazine.

16. Glock model 20 in 10mm can’t go wrong with that.

10mm has a nice flat flightpath and it’ll ruin your day if you take a SJHP to the chest.

Of course if you want to make a good first impression a 50.AE chambered Eagle WILL make someone shit their pants. The hollow points on those 600 grain rounds look like you could mix a martini in em.
    Hope you have the upper body strength for it cause you wont be bringing the piece back into battery very fast if you miss with your first shot.

• Sgt Ive shot a Glock 20. A great pistol. I may add one to my stable at some point but I like my Glock 27 too. For some folks the Glock 20 is a bit too snappy because the 10mm in a sub compact frame will kick a bit. That’s why the FBI didn’t adopt it because their frail lady agents couldn’t handle it. I think it kind of moot when people debate handgun calibers because in reality, all hand guns are weak when compared to long guns. A shotgun is the ultimate close up weapon. No handgun, even the big .500 Smith can match the destruction a 12 gauge with 00 or 000 buck can do to a bad guy. Its devastating. A shotgun can literally blow chunks out of a person at close range. Its an extremely nasty weapon for any bad guy to face. And one they usually will not survive.

17. rightwingterrorist says:

I prefer a .45.
    Of course I also prefer anything I can get my grubby little mitts on.

There are some who claim that a .22 is the best for stopping aggression.
    Appearantly putting any sort of hole in an attacker (so long as they’re not crazy and drug fueled) tends to stop them.

…and the debate on holes goes on…

• rightwingterrorist says:

I got caught in a crossfire in a Houston parking lot.
      Mexicans shooting at Mexicans….or any other South American subset…it’s hard to tell.
      I took a flesh wound on my left hand in the meaty part just below the pinkie finger.
      I don’t know what they were shooting, but it definately wasn’t large caliber.
      Whatever you do, don’t get shot. It really hurts and leaves a mark. Mine is a nice little round scar.

• Michael T says:

Whatever you do, don’t get shot. It really hurts and leaves a mark. rightwingterrorist

Sound advice. 😉

18. To me its a toss up between the .40 and the .45. I have and shoot both calibers and love them both equally well. I also like 10mm but currently don’t have any pistols in that caliber. Shot placement is the key. No matter what caliber you carry, its useless if you cant hit vital areas with it. I’ll pass on the 9mm. It never was one of my favorite calibers but to each his own.

19. .45 for me, a pair of Glock 21 with a double stack mag gets you 13 plus 1, with an extended mag you will have 28 plus 1. I carry 2, one with each configuration with clip draw, with back up extended mags. The short mag is easily concealable wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee-shirt. If you pop out with a Glock 21 in each hand with extended mags you will have 58 rounds in available right now, with one mag change 116 rounds to go. With a jacket or heavy shirt i can conceal the extended mag also.

20. 7.62X51 & .556 says:

I use and carry a Glock 19 9mm. The choice of ammo is what I like . I load HV +p hollow points for defense and shoot some sub-sonic. I have done test with the 9mm and 45 acp and see little difference in expansion because of ammo choices. I have always preferred the 7.62 over .556 ,but now I own both. The .556 is a good round because of High velocity and light bullet weight. This all due to the key hole and fragmentation of .556. The 7.62 is better for long range kills because of bullet coefficiency. Choose the the pistol or rifle that fits your need and pocket book .

21. 9 mm a commie caliber? I think not. It was developed in Germany in 1902 by Georg Luger and was used in the famous 1908 Parabellum pistol. In fact, the commies had their own 9 mm caliber, the 9×18 Makarov; it was slightly larger in diameter so it could not be used in 9 mm Luger/Parabellum that the Free World had.

I’ll take a .45, they don’t call it a Man Stopper for nuttin’.

I remember one about this WW II vet who used a WW II german lugar pistol he collected from a Rail Road flat car and used it to defend himself from a armed thug

23. Patthemick says:

I prefer the 45for the stopping power but any of these Val’s will do the job!

24. Joe Stalin says:

9mm Para. Old Czech 9mm sintered iron core ammo is just like armor piercing ammo on Kevlar if bad stuff happens. Lots of 9mm in circulation, including surplus. Standard mil-spec. You can make your own THV copies like South Africa if the Federales intend to kill you.

25. Louisiana Steve says:

I use all three calibers and enough Glocks to fit them all. But I almost always reach for my Glock 19C when leaving the house. It’s fully loaded with 16 rounds of 9mm +p. If that’s not good enough for you, then let’s do a little math…9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9=STOP! Besides, here’s a little quiz for you all. How many rounds of what caliber stopped St. Skittles?

26. bargis tryhol says:

Alot of friends ask why I carry a .45. I usually reply by saying because they don’t make a .46 caliber.

(-2)
  27. Thank God Gov Commie of New Yorkistan solved this dilemma for me. I dont have to worry about ammo capacity thanks to Mr. You Don’t Need More Than Seven Rounds Jackass. Last time I checked I haven’t been viciously attacked by a car. So my fav handgun caliber is…

.45

If I want access to high ammo capacity I just carry another gun. My other is a .357, so you know I’m good. Between the 2 I got as much ammo as a punk with a ‘nine’.

28. I went completely haywire with the off calibers.

I carry a Glock 32 357 sig (flat shooting and powerful with distance. (Underwood ammo 357 sig 125 gr J.H.P. at 1475 fps)
    I love my Glock 20 10mm and my Rock River (L)AR 6.8 SPC

No problems with ammo using http://www.gunbot.net
    1. Underwood 2.Buffalo Bore and 3.Double Tap Ammo

29. I like lots of big holes in my bad guys, hence, the .45 Para double stack! Love this gun.

30. Michael T says:

For some reason I want a 12 gauge coach gun.

31. I know I run the risk of sounding like Crazy Uncle Joe here… But based on my limited amount of shooting experience, for stopping power you can’t beat a Mossberg 500 w/3″ 00 Buckshot for stopping power. Sabot Slug is good for penetration, but what’s even better is any pistol or rifle with 5.7x28mm ammo (i.e. Five-seveN handgun or P90/PS90 PDW). Of course, for loud bangs (as was mentioned earlier here), the .50AE Desert Eagle is king of the mountain. Of course, you will have to sacrifice some stuff for that, if you use the D.E. Of course the P90, Five-seveN, D.E., and a lot of the other guns mentioned already are kinda out of my price range. So I gotta settle with a .380 :-( But I at least have my Mossie 500, with the aforementioned ammo for it. And I love it. And for what it is, the Bersa .380 is fine for me. Maybe if I ever get the funds for a nice .40 or .45 handgun, I can keep the Bersa as a backup weapon. But in any case, JMHO, based on my humble shooting experience.

• Don’t knock the Bersa Thunder 380, when I’m not carrying the hi-cap 45, its the 380 in my pocket…I sometimes carry both!

Besides, a 105 Howitzer is too heavy and hard to conceal

• I love my mossy 500 pump….its a great shotgun for the money and they do the job just fine.

• I absolutely agree with you. I also have a Mossberg 12 gauge and for pure stopping power at close range without fear of over penetration into adjoining rooms and walls, a Mossberg with 00 shot is always the final say in any argument.

Unfortunately it wasn’t in the question for preferences so I didn’t mention it either. But I would agree with you.

Back in my hometown I just read on the internet version of our local paper that a man broke into another mans house and shot him several times with a 12 gauge shotgun. I would naturally assume that was at close range of course. But the man is alive but in critical condition. In an unrelated story I read about a man who was killed with a .22 pistol once.

I guess the moral of that story is that no gun is always the perfect gun for show stopping power. But if I could only grab one with a home intruder in my house, it’s my pistol grip pump action Mossberg 500 12 gauge, all day long!

Don’t knock the 380 either. I own a S&W Bodyguard 380 that makes the greatest little backup gun on an ankle carry. For small, it packs a hell of a punch with the right ammo.

32. I like a glock 19 9mm with 15 rounds one chambered and ready to go crimson lazer zero’d in at 15 feet at my bedside. 12 guage at the headboard. That’s for somebody coming into the house, have a hi-power led flash light for blinding purposes and no need to use the sights. just place the little red dot and let er go. The Glock IMO with their safety design which allows to keep a round chambered with no fear of accidental discharge, is very important in high stress situations. It takes two hands and time to pull the slide…Not good.!
    When traveling around in the public a 357 revolver with hollow points like an Ruger SP 101 is real handy to have in the back pocket just make sure that you have a holster modified so that you have no trouble pulling it out. Shirt tails out cover the bulge nicely. Only having 5 rounds is a little disconcerting. Also one might wonder if knowing what damage they cause could affect a persons response to an event, while as the 9mm just makes real nice little holes but enough to do the job, let’s just say that it is a nicer way to kill someone, on the other hand no automatic is as reliable as a revolver. A smokestack in a panic environment might have some horrible repercussions for the shooter. One more…I concur with the advice that if you shoot shoot twice…..aka “double tap”

33. I like the .40. I have a full size M&P that I chose over the Glock and a Bersa compact. I don’t know why, but I shoot better with a 180 grain rather than a 165. Weird. My next will be a metal frame Sig. I’ve owned both the 9 and 45 and both were pretty sweet. Especially my 45. I carry both, though the M&P is a little harder to conceal in summer.

34. pink Floyd says:

I REALLY HATE to disagree with the proven sexiness of the Dude, but the .40S&W is just a 10mm softened up for Federal Bureau-weenies, women and peaceniks.

I MUST go with the .45ACP because…John Moses Browning! That and it has been a proven man-stopper for over 100 yrs. Who needs 15 wild shots, when 1 well placed shot will do?

Sorry Dude, that’s just the way it is.

• pink, I have two .45’s. I love one, not so much the other. But both are loaded in my nightstand while my .40 stays in my computer bag. Hell, AWD just loves guns!

awd

• pink Floyd says:

“Hell, AWD just loves guns!”

You are a good man, no doubt!
        I will never have too many guns, too much ammo or too much single malt.

35. Louisiana Steve says:

I’ve got a suggestion for Ammo For Sale dot Com. They are ALL good calibers! Just make sure plenty are available in all sizes and most of all, make sure they all go BANG at the appropriate time.

• Luckily, in my neck of the desert, centerfire ammo is becoming available, and living in a town where an ammunition plant is does not hurt either.

36. .40 – Best of both worlds. I like the Speer Gold Dots the best.

BTW, a pistol should only be used to fight your way to your battle rifle.

37. quartierleblanc says:

This is all good stuff and an argument that will go on as long as these cartridges are used and probably long after. I’m not sure what the “best” caliber means. A cranial cavity hit with a 9mm it just as fatal just as quickly as the same hit with 44 magnum. The so called “one shot stopping data” are a bit of misnomer. It’s mainly data taken from LEO shooting where the bad guy took a torso or center of mass hit from a single round and was “stopped” from doing whatever. It does not denote fatality rate.
    I think that what you do is you mate a caliber to the weapon, to the threat and the ability of the shooter. All of this comes into play. A 6 inch Smith and Wesson 357 magnum shooting full powered 158 gr HP’s able to shoot through car bodies may be a fearsome weapon if you’re caught out on the open road, but is it what you really want with a home invasion at night with multiple attackers. Here you’d want magazine capacity, low flash and the ability for very quick shots. Besides pistols are always a compromise weapon. More people survive pistol shooting than die and in significant percentages.

38. I’m always amazed by these debates. For most of this century, the .38 S&W Special was the standard for law-enforcement and civilians alike. The gold-standard load was the “FBI load”, or, .38 Special 158gr. SWCHP +P. It had less power (by any measure you wish to use) than 9mm, .40 S&W or .45ACP. The fact of the matter is that any of the calibers mentioned by AWD would make a good, all-round pistol caliber. There are slight differences in power and magazine capacity but they’re very close.

Personally, I like .38 Special in +P with modern hollowpoints.

• quartierleblanc says:

Actually the FBI as well as a lot of other agencies used a 110gr SWC loaded to high pressures, a round that was first used, according to my sources, the Texas Rangers. A similar SWC/HP +P is being made by at least one manufacturer and this seems to be the number one round for snubbies. Also Barnes ( and others ) are making a pure copper HP at about 130 to 135 grains and loaded to +P pressures. According to the latest stuff out there this is the premo bullet for 38’s especially with 3 or 4 inch weapons.

39. Dittohead#1 says:

Real red-blooded American men and women choose the Model 1911 A1 .45 Automatic pistol. The choice of the U.S.Marine Corps, Sarah Palin, Frank Rizzo, and Atilla The Hun(if he was still alive)! Case closed.

• quartierleblanc says:

Won’t fly. The weapon design is a hundred years old where time to failure was measured in the hundreds. The new weapons are at least a whole log better which is more than significant. The caliber still works well but the 1911 is dated and won’t compare to a Sig 220 or an H&K. With the 1911 you still have ergonomics and you still have lock time, but in real world terms it can’t compete. A Glock has half the parts and number of parts means an increase time to failure. The 1911 is a wonderful pistol if you’re shooting competition, but you’d better be shooting 38 Super. I carried an H&K in 45 ACP for years and never had a FTF. Not once, not ever. Yet I took a class with Clint Smith who had a custom 1911 fail during the course.

• Dittohead#1 says:

The 1911 A1 .45 will fire under any adverse weather condition. From 25 yards in, it is the most lethal pistol in the universe. Hell, after you run out of ammo, you can use the pistol as a weapon to club your enemy to death. It is the preferred weapon of Rock-n-Roll songs, as in the Olympics song “Big Boy Pete”;
        “I got a forty-five, to keep me alive,
        with seven bullets on my side”!
        If it is good enough for the Corps, then it is good enough for all pistol packin’ patriots

• quartierleblanc says:

Still won’t fly and even the Corp doesn’t use the 1911 anymore. I’m not saying that it’s not a fine combat pistol, it’s just that there are much better weapons out there. The biggest issue about the 1911 is the reliability factor. You have to spend a lot of money, in the neighborhood of $2500+ to even approach the reliability of a Glock. Parts like the bushing, slide stop and link are prone to breakage, parts that the Glock doesn’t have. Even Larry Vickers, someone who knows about as much as anyone about shooting a 1911 carries a Glock for personal defense. A lot of the nonsense about the 1911 was put out there by Jeff Cooper, who was about as plastic as they come.

• Quartier and Ditto, AWD carries his beloved Glock 23 (.40 S&W) everywhere he goes except while hunting hogs. I then strap on my new Remington R1 Enhanced should a pissed off porker want to gnaw on my leg.

Let’s face it. The .45 is THE American handgun. It looks cool and is cool. But it’s too large for most to carry comfortably, especially in the summer. And, as Quartier pointed out, is a little fussy compared to the Glock. I hate to admit it but it’s been about a year or more since I last cleaned my Glock. I know! I know! But I also know that cat will work the next time I squeeze the trigger.

Like I said the other day, I just love guns. Hell, I even have a 9! I don’t care. I can never have enough. I love my .45 just as much as my Glock and just as much as my other guns. They brighten my day.

awd

• quartierleblanc says:

I love these discussions. The Glock 23 was the weapon I bought my oldest son as his first handgun and along with a Ruger 22/45 was the weapon I trained him on. He also shot a 1911 which interestingly he shot and liked better. That is till like all new 1911 shooters he had a malfunction. He also understands that this was not a desirable outcome of the drill. The G always goes boom.

• Quartier, I gave my oldest son a Springfield 1911 .45 I have owned since 1990. He likes it but now wants a Spingfield XD in .45. He likes the .45 caliber and loves the way the XD shoots. I never really could shoot my old 1911 but do pretty good with the new Remington R1. I’ve always been able to draw a bead with the Glock. It just feels right. And it always goes boom.

awd

• quartierleblanc says:

Have you ever noted how preferences towards handguns is very similar to preferences toward women?

• Quartier, are you saying AWDshould be attracted to black, Austrian women?

• quartierleblanc says:

Not at all. I’m just saying that they all have a different feel, size, smell, attitude as well as a different “ride.”

• Snake Oiler says:

There was a guy who could turn a phrase.

Just wait after November you’ll have a front row seat because I’m going to make Attila the Hun look like a faggot.

— Rizzo, during his 1975 reelection campaign

• Dittohead#1 says:

Ever since the “Cisco Kid” left office, the city of Philadelphia has gone down the sewer pipe.

40. Ah hell, a 45ACP FMJ will go in, through and out leaving 2 bloody holes as big as a 9mm HP expanded and it hits like a sledge hammer and is known for more 1 shot stops than any other caliber. I wish they made a 250 grain bullet for it.

• Snake Oiler says:

The .45 was adopted by the military, due in large part, to the ineffectiveness of the .38 in stopping doped-up Moro warriors in the Philippines. DWM actually made two P08 Lugers in .45ACP for testing, only one of which is still known to be in existence.

• quartierleblanc says:

Not so, the FMJ 45 ACP was OK but not stellar for one shot stops. Some of the 147+P+ stuff out there in 9mm is pretty incredible in terms of one shot stops and approaches the 357 Sig. The copper bullets from makers like Barnes look pretty good and can attain velocities in shorter barrels that are better than standard bullets.

• +p+ is hard on guns, not many shoot it compared to other rounds. I’ve shot it just don’t like tearing my hand off, its like 357 in a small revolver. I don’t even like +p .45, ya don’t get enough additional speed for the kick. I love to shoot my 220 all day with Golden Sabers, probably the most pleasant 45 I’ve ever shot and most reliable. Thankfully I bought a case before prices shot up, pun intended. Wished Glock made a 45 carbine so I could use my 21 mags also. I will say this about 9mm+p’s, great carbine round, my Camp 9 loves them.

• quartierleblanc says:

Dude, they don’t make the Camp 9 anymore. What about the Keltec sub 2000? It might be the one?

• +p+ isn’t that bad winchester rates it at about 42,000 psi, the standard Glock 17, 19, and 26 have fully supported chambers standard and are rated to safely handle 45,000 psi.

41. http://sipseystreetirregulars......ndard.html

American Standard Ammo, worth knowing for coming times.

42. got em all and yer answer is the 10mm

43. I luv my 357 mag but a 6″ colt python is a lil big to lug. no one argues with a colt 45. but if I gotta pack its my glock 19 in a shoulder rig with 2 extra mags. over 45 rounds ready to go. no hammer, no safety, just pull and shoot.

44. ed sanson says:

45 reallty aint shit. Ill take a 10mm, now thats power, the 45 is slow like my grandma, the 40 sucks too, i want the most ammo, so between those 3 it would be the glock 19 9mm. Actually i shot a mexican in the penis with a 50 bmg and even tho he was all jacked up on burritos and tostadas he croaked instantly, that was the night paco ate his last taco.

45. ed sanson says:

That song is complete garbage, and that dude singin it is a cowboy homo. He better not quit his day job cleanin toilets.

46. real men carry 4 gauge. Women are useless, but i guess we need em around for sex, and to cook stuff. Dont matter to me tho, i live in a house made of money, also, legalize huntin mexicans and waps, it be good for the economy, they dont serve a purpose anyhow, so we outta be able to bust caps in em. God bless the republic.