Well, well, well…seems plenty of people in Colorado are mad as hell and aren’t going to take it anymore!

So folks, they have a game plan in motion to secede and form North Colorado as the 51st state…after you read and watch two reports about this issue, see if you think they will succeed when all is said and done.

This is via DC:

It may be easier said than done. The rules for creating new states are outlined in Article IV, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, which require the approval of the existing state’s legislature and Congress.

Each upstart county plans to let its residents’ vote on the idea, which Rademacher said they want to do at the first opportunity, even though the deadline for questions to appear on the November ballot is Aug. 1.

If the votes pass, the legislature and the governor would then have to petition Congress to allow for the formation of a new state. Rademacher thinks getting the legislature to do so will be the biggest hurdle.

“I don’t think they’ll let us go,” he said, pointing to the region’s rich oil and gas deposits and the agricultural industry that contributes substantially to Colorado’s economy.

U.S. history is filled with failed attempts at new states. According to the nonprofit, nonpartisan National Constitution Center, it’s been tried at least 75 times and been successful only five — Vermont split from New York, Kentucky from Virginia, Tennessee from North Carolina, Maine from Massachusetts, and West Virginia from Virginia.

The most recent attempt to form a new state was in 2011, when residents of Pima County, Ariz., tried to break out on their own to distance themselves from the politics of Maricopa County.

Rademacher said he’s heard from non-contiguous counties in Colorado about if and how they could also join the effort. But he said the territory of wannabe North Colorado at least has to share a border with other breakaway-minded counties.

“We can’t build a highway to heaven,” he said.

As a sign of just how divisive the recently ended Colorado legislative session has been, it may very well result in a literal division of the state.

As many as eight counties composing the rural, oil and gas-rich northeast corner of the state are pursuing a plan to cut ties with a capital city they no longer feel represents their interests and come together as the 51st state in the country: North Colorado.

“We’re actually going to pursue it,” said Weld County Commissioner Douglas Rademacher, a farmer whose jurisdiction is spearheading the effort. “Frankly, we’ve been ignored in northeastern Colorado now for the last, going on eight years with the current administration in Denver.”

“Frankly, we see no option,” he said. “We are going to move forward.”

Rademacher cited numerous examples of how Denver politicians are out of touch with rural Colorado, from passing tough new gun laws — “that gun legislation really pissed a lot of people off in Weld County,” he said — to trying to clamp down on companies that extract natural gas through fracking.

But the final straw, he said, was Gov. John Hickenlooper’s signature on Wednesday of Senate Bill 252 requiring rural electrical cooperatives to double to 20 percent the amount of renewable energy in their portfolios by 2020.

“It’s a death by a thousand cuts, but the straw that finally broke the back was the governor signed 252 yesterday, which puts another huge impact on rural Colorado to meet these unrealistic deadlines and mandates for renewable energy,” he said. “And yet, the major population centers don’t have to abide by it. There’s a hypocrisy going on in Denver that’s just driving us crazy.”

Rademacher said a theoretical North Colorado could also include counties in neighboring states like Kansas and Nebraska, some of which he said have expressed interest in joining the effort. He said there was also serious talk among the county commissioners about asking a neighboring state to annex their territory — Rademacher said Wyoming would be the obvious choice.

In the end, it was decided that self-representation was the most appealing course, even though Rademacher admits that forming a new state will be difficult. The last time a state was formed from another was when West Virginia gained sovereignty from Virginia in 1863.

“Nevertheless, they were all done for the same reason, lack of representation,” he said. “And that’s where we’re at.”

“Frankly, I think we’re ready to cut and go.”

You can watch the CBS news report that goes with this by clicking on DC link provided towards the top.

This video above is a report to this story, this is a very good read…it’s more detailed in some factions, including farmers being cut off from their water supplies etc, plus more history and such:

Weld County leads effort to secede, create state of ‘North Colorado

What do you think, just a pipe-dream…or a possibility?

Throw in your two-cents…Fire Away – Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

1. riverlife_callie says:

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established, should not be changed for light and transient causes; and, accordingly, all experience [has] shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce [the people] under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.”

“Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.”

— two quotes from Thomas Jefferson

• bigtimer says:

Now, more than ever those words apply in this case…as well as other states.

Thanks for those words riverlife_callie.

• Jack daniels says:

Riverlife,

Well said. The ambers of discontent are being ignited. I believe it is not a question of if, but rather when.

• Someone needs to fine Jack for posting twice… I recommend he has to send all regulars at AWD blog a fifth of Jack Daniels.

• bigtimer says:

Lol…I’ll drink to that!

• Jack daniels says:

But…but…but I TRIED to request a deletion!! Really I did!

Fine, it’s in the mail…

With the USPS and Canada Post, you should get it in a couple of years!

• Jack daniels says:

Riverlife,

2. MichaelT says:

The Civil War was fought not over slavery, but rather the Southern States desire to govern themselves. Lincoln was not going to have it, neither will our present rulers.

• Pointy End Out says:

And licoln paid for his tyranny…pay attention “leaders” !

• Who are they going to fight against and with what/whos’ Military?

• Snake Oiler says:

But let us not forget that it is oratory, not logic; beauty, not sense. Think of the argument in it! Put it into the cold words of everyday! The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination — “that government of the people, by the people, for the people,” should not perish from the earth. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in that battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves. What was the practical effect of the battle of Gettysburg? What else than the destruction of the old sovereignty of the States, i. e., of the people of the States? The Confederates went into battle an absolutely free people; they came out with their freedom subject to the supervision and vote of the rest of the country—and for nearly twenty years that vote was so effective that they enjoyed scarcely any freedom at all. Am I the first American to note the fundamental nonsensicality of the Gettysburg address? If so, I plead my aesthetic joy in it in amelioration of the sacrilege.

H.L. Mencken

3. Chris H. says:

WOOT! You go Colorado!

I’ve been watching the Colorado debate since the beginning with a keen eye for the outcome which, I do believe, may well dictate the course of all our futures. Colorado is being used as a test case because, well, to put it bluntly, they were the first group to have the “sack” to try it. And for that alone I applaud them.

I was not aware they were considering neighboring counties outside their state. I find that extremely interesting, and appealing.

Should they succeed I may have to seriously consider moving there. Missouri has been moving in the right direction but I’m tired of waiting for the right things to be done.

Colorado citizens are the TRUE Patriots and guardians of the US Constitution. Bravo. You go Colorado! You go!!!

We here in SOURTHEN OREGON/NORTHERN CALIFORNIA have always wanted to suceed and become the STATE of JEFFERSON becuase were alos tired of the Buisness as Usial from our robber barons and especialy that rotten JERRY(MOONBEAM)BROWN and his fellow demacratic asses

• bigtimer says:

Spur…

Nice to know your location/neck of the woods type of thing. While growing up in the high desert of Calif. all I heard was the same thing you speak of, it’s been the same to this day…never happened, unfortunately!

5. charles w says:

Went to school with his brother. He is right. People are pissed and they are expressing it. There are 3 recall targets and now this. Hickenlooper, our sissy of a governor is trying to be just like his best buddy Bloomberg. Back in the day Colorado was a very libertarian state. Our democrats would have been republicans any where else. Now with all the immigration from California and other liberal hellholes, they want to do here what has failed everywhere else. They must be stopped.

• bigtimer says:

Just read about that recall thing going on yesterday, wished I had the link at the moment…very glad you’re filling others in. Hope that recall thing works out too. ~

Pay backs can be hell!

Btw…what’s happened to your state with out of state residents that move there, same thing has been happened all over the NW for along time now….same thing in Big Sky Country. It’s infuriating…yet you can’t stop it.

6. Southern Illinois should be the 51st state. When I lived in far southern Illinois in 2009, I noticed that some people flew 51-star American flags.

I certialy hope the birds of Central Park are releiving themselves on the CHE statue to shoiw their compempt for this glorifed murderer

8. Snake Oiler says:

That state is a real mess, dominated by Lickenpooper’s Lefty Legions, with further support coming from hordes of illegals. The dreaded California Syphilis has struck again.

• bigtimer says:

‘Lickenpooper’s Lefty Legions’…you have such a way with words my friend, always making me chuckle when I read your stuff like this.

Liked your above post earlier too…that gave one something to chew on for a bit.

• Snake Oiler says:

Colorado used to be a great place to visit, and I assume some parts of it still are. Population transfer out of California and Mexico into the state have really done wonders. America – what a crazy place! You can go to New York and experience high-handed fascism, or take a short hop to Detroit for a taste of anarchy. My, my.

Welcome to the jungle it gets worse here everyday

In the back of our minds, we knew this was on the way…

• bigtimer says:

Oh gawd Snake…I can’t take much more. Guess it’s the end of the week type of thing. I want to explode reading some of this stuff…that link is a good example. I’ll get thru it better tomorrow.

TY.

9. Here in Houston we have a local radio talk show host named Michael Berry. Starting about a year ago his network has been expanding his show to various local stations nationwide. Portland, Birmingham, Baton Rouge and, recently, upstate New York (Albany or Utica, I think). Listening to NY callers to the Berry’s show has brought to my attention a situation in that big blue state that upstate NY is red country, similar to parts of Colorado. They would like to form their own state separate from the communist infestation in its southeast crotch. Just how widespread is this political state division across the USA?

• I think it’s pretty far reaching. Already here in Big Sky Country, I have nothing but disdain for the way the eastern side of this state votes…then again, college towns in all of the bigger cities are the same, including Missoula…that alone speaks volumes about the mush-head students and their professors etc…eh?

Same ol’ everywhere it seems.

• Who knew you are from the Treasure State and the Land of the Shining Mountains. (I love Wikipedia). Regards to JMV’s post below, does Montana border on Colorado? My NW geography is faulty.

• No we don’t. We border North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho and Wyoming. – Nevertheless, depending where you live you can get to Washington and part of Oregon state in no time. – Canada goes without saying.

Btw…when I say ‘in no time’…that’s a figure of speech type of thing.

• It sounds that you want to escape Montana to Washington, Oregon and Canada. Why? I’m confused.

• How the heck do you figure it sounds like I want to escape to anywhere out of anything I’ve stated…hmm?

• Here’s the text:

What does it mean to get anywhere in no time mean?

• By driving timne Pico…nothing more, nothing less. – Get a grip.

• Btw…what does JMV’s post below have to do with ours?

…and Islam does suck!

Listen, not trying to cause any kind of a fight..but you’d better get used to how people express themselves here. JMV can defend himself just fine…just want you to know this isn’t any Miss Manners’ type of thing, unless it goes way over the line.

• IMHO I detest vitriol.
            Just Me.
            Sorry for the Offense.

• You don’t have anything to apologize for to me, you have a right to your opinion, we all do and we all express them in various ways.

• Please don’t take this the wrong way.
            I have thought for a long time that I knew what Political Correctness was. It was a societal force to make people believe anything. Now, I have seen this force in blog sites forcing their commenters to adhere to rigid rules for their comments.

• bigtimer says:

You know something Pico, I have bent over backwards to welcome and try to understand your idiosyncrasies or whatever the heck your problem is and communicate with you no matter the topic. I’ve come to the point where I think you’re doing this all intentionally and I won’t play whatever game you’re playing for whatever reason you are. – Enough already.

Grow up.

• Please expaian idiosyncrasies.

• bigtimer says:

Look it up.

10. The 51st state will never happen. It would mean that the existing Colorado politicians would lose money, votes, land, and most importantly, POWER, and after all, power is the name of the game. The Libs like to tell others how to live and what is acceptable in todays society, such as legalizing pedophilia (mohammud was a pedophile, so it must be ok), gay marriage, etc. Anyone who does not like the libs rule, will be a second class citizen and be ostracized.

I think the better way to go would be to talk to Wyoming and go the annex route. It would seem to have a better chance of happening with the counties in N. Colorado voting to become part of another existing state. Wyoming would probably jump on the chance, because they would get the money, land, votes, and again POWER. And the Wyoming leadership at its worst, would be better at leading that those fools in Denver.

And lest we forget—-ISLAM SUCKS A DEAD CAMELS ASS!!

• @JMV, I like your idea of annexation. I don’t think I’ve hever heard that tactic before. It just might work.

On your last statement, although I share your disgust with Islam, I think it would be better to keep that kind of vile out of intelligent discussion. IMHO.

• Pico, you think a part of my post was vile? You want vile? Go to a prog blog and read the crap they say about conservatives, 2nd amendment supporters, Christians, and whitey in general, then you can come back and pass your high and mighty judgement on us if you think we are any worse.

Oh, by the way:

Mohammed was a pedophile, and Islam still now, and will forever more suck a dead camel’s ass.

Deal with it.

• JMV….That closing line made me laugh so hard it made my sides hurt….a classic! Great job!

11. captainmike says:

This is an interesting concept. One thing that has always bothered me is the stranglehold the Northeast liberal states have had on this country since Day 1. What pisses me off is that small states (in population, area, and GDP) like Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, Delaware, etc. each get TWO senators. Because they defined themselves as “states” early on they garnered a disproportionate influence over the control of the country. Vermont and Maine were not part of the original 13 colonies but were added or carved out of others later. So here you have in a relatively small area a huge block of the Senate which for whatever reason always votes the same way. Let’s face it, the Houston Metropolitan area is several times larger (in both population and area) than the entire “state” of Rhode Island.

But here’s the catch. Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution states that no new states may be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state nor from the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned, AS WELL AS OF CONGRESS.

Therein lies the key. At the time of the writing of the Constitution the country was already deeply divided primarily along economic interests which were also geographic. The North and South did not have a lot in common. Let’s face it, one of the pivotal battles of the Revolutionary War was King’s Mountain in which the main combatants were “Americans” against “Americans” (Loyalists). The balance of political power was tilted towards the Northeast while the bulk of the economic power was concentrated in the South. So the shrewd Yankees made sure that the South could not easily usurp control over the country by the language of Article IV, Section 3. At least that’s my take. Incidentally, the south paid for over 75% of the war’s cost.

One interesting little factoid that very few people are aware of is the location of the first “National Road”, which was begun in 1811. One would have naturally thought that said road would have been built to connect the first 13 or so states on the Eastern Seaboard. Not so. It went from Baltimore west through Ohio and Indiana to Illinois. Lot of good that did the South, which footed most of the bill.

And then, of course, there was Secession. If you read the truth it had nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with economics. The Morrill Tariff was an unashamed example of the greed of the North to effectively enslave the South economically. The South had its back against the wall and really had few options because of the Northern dominated Congress.

And here we are almost 200 years later in what is really the same place. It’s all about the money.

• Snake Oiler says:

Tremendous!

• Ditto that!

Tremendous indeed…the last two lines put it in today’s nutshell!

• It is all about the money, but now its the Southern States that are developing and the Northern States are the Rust Belt with high unemployment and no jobs mooching off the Federal Tit.
          The South will rise again but it will be a monetary power as the Unions do not control them. There is a population shift following jobs that will take place in the next decade. Wanna work, go South, go Southwest. No really bad weather to hamper workers, no friggin Union Jerks, stay outta Californica, its infested with very know malady to man.

• bigtimer says:

Good points all…but you can’t forget about the oil/natural gas booms going on with fracking and such in the NW either…interesting all the way around.

ND has a 3% unemployment rate at the moment because of fracking….of course this administration would do anything to stop it if they could.

I can’t wait until the O-Team is gone once and for all.

12. Snake Oiler says:

Trofim Lysenko served as Director of the Institute of Genetics of the USSR’s Academy of Sciences from 1940 to 1965. As a young botanist and agronomist of peasant origin, he gained the attention of Joseph Stalin when he addressed a major famine issue. Severe Russian winters destroyed early winter wheat seedlings. Lysenko established that hydrating and chilling the seedlings could preserve them to yield Spring harvests. With the political stature achieved due to his popularity with Stalin, Lysenko went on to rule over Soviet biological and agricultural science, demanding rigid adherence to his pseudoscientific theories, which gained political protection from the Soviet government. Scientists who dissented from Lysenko’s edicts on were sometimes executed. The term Lysenkoism refers to the manipulation of science to support politically desired ends.

As our own federal government has increasingly interjected itself into private decisions related to science (such as those related to fracking for shale gas extraction, to defining what species are endangered and to defining what constitutes wet lands and wilderness lands, to the development of new drugs, to the role of certain nutrients in reducing the risk of disease, to the kinds of surfaces and equipment that are least likely to harbor pathogens in food processing, among many others), the government has established political orthodoxies in science. Those political orthodoxies are usually distortions of science that selectively cull from scientific evidence that which may be argued to be supportive of a desired political outcome. The orthodoxies rarely mirror the state of scientific opinion because they ordinarily presume only that science definitive which supports a desired regulatory conclusion.

For example, the EPA may deem fracking to impose unacceptable environmental risks when, in fact, risks to the environment are likely minimal depending on the techniques employed to reduce environmental impact. The FDA may deem scientific evidence in support of a nutrient’s disease risk reducing effect insufficient to support a nutrient-disease claim when those who study the nutrient-disease relationship may think the claim well supported. The FDA may deem scientific evidence significant in support of a drug’s efficacy when those who study the drug may think it to lack effectiveness above a placebo effect. The EPA may deem movement of soils during construction to pose a potential risk to protected rivers, lakes, or streams when, in reality, there is no scientific foundation for the conclusion. The list of the federal government’s distortions of science is a very long one indeed.

• Y’all, we are getting our butts kicked over at the Coolest SOB Blogger contest! By some frog guy! If you haven’t voted yet, get yourself over to http://im41.com/archives/9033 and vote for AWD. If you’ve voted already, pretend you’re ACORN and vote a few more hundred times!

awd

• bigtimer says:

Just did that.

Btw…look at this way, if ya don’t win, at least you won’t be visiting GITMO with a black hood over your head. 😉

• captainmike says:

Wasn’t there mass starvation in Russia under the reign of Stalin? I don’t know the details of Stalinist Russia other than the fact that a huge number of people died from murder, torture, and/or starvation.

The same thing happened in China during the Great Leap Forward from 1958-62. Following the collectivization(expropriation) of all farmland, the central planners took control of all agriculture. The result: somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 MILLION people died, primarily from starvation (see DiKotter, 2010, very fascinating read).

The EPA has assumed far-reaching influence/control over just about every industrial/agricultural endeavor in this county. They have shown themselves to be the enemy of just about every industry or innovation that would serve to strengthen and/or enrich this nation. They have no compunction whatsoever about shutting down a business or an entire industry. Look at what is happening to coal-fired electric generating plants…they are being shut down by the DOZENS. Is there enough replacement generating capacity being constructed? Who knows? That’s not for the EPA to worry about other than making sure construction permits take years.
      They just recently created a new division to regulate fracing. Guess how many petroleum industry experts are on this board?
      If you guessed zero you’d win the prize.
      And then there is the new requirement that any renovation work on a house built before 1978 requires an “EPA lead certified contractor”.
      EPA now inspects oil/gas platforms in STATE lands and their “agents” wear sidearms. I operated down there for years and never saw that.
      And on and on it goes.
      O promised that “electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket”. Not spoken but implied was that everything else would too. It is going to be interesting to watch, to say the least, what happens to all the supporters on the Left, as they gradually lose all the things that they have become accustomed to. It is going to be a real shock when the Northeastern Liberals are freezing in the dark because the EPA shut down the domestic oil and gas industry and half of the electric generating capacity.
      45 million Chinese lost everything because of one man.

• It’s going to be interesting is right…just how many will still stand with their Dear Leader when the things you mention happen? – Or will they still blame someone else…anyone else other than Barack Hussein Obama?

I’m betting on the latter…’none as blind as those who will not see’ type of thing comes to mind.