Jesus-in-manger

AWD wants to wish all the Dudes and Dudettes a very Merry Christmas! I hope we all enjoy this special time of year with our family and friends to remember what’s important in our lives.

Life is hard and filled with pain and struggle. My own life has been filled with adversity and heartbreak. Not turned out like I dreamed it would when I was young. But who’s life has? But we have hope. And we have our family and friends. And family and friends are what’s really important in this life. Oh sure, it’s nice to drive a bad-ass F150, have supa-sexy good looks, great guns, knives, and flashlights. Oh, and have Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders trying to bust down the door to my bedroom/boudoir every night wanting to make wild monkey love to me but none of that really matters. It’s the people in our lives that really matter.

Christmas is bittersweet for AWD. Being a divorced dad, my children were usually under another man’s roof during Christmas when growing up. I was often left to myself. It was a terrible pain to feel that loneliness and regret. And it’s another terrible pain during the holiday to miss our loved ones who have passed.

I lost my wonderful Dad almost 10 years ago and not a day goes by that I don’t remember something about him. What he would say. His funny dry sense of humor. How he loved his family but how he worshiped my Mother. I can remember him fishing at the beach, bringing in Christmas presents, playing cards with friends (and cheating), going to ball games. I remember him being drug to the dance floor by my Mother and watching him pretend to dance just to make her happy. I remember his special, beautiful hatred for the Carolina Tar Heels. A special hatred I too have instilled in my children. Train up a child!

As AWD moves further into his 50’s, I wish I could talk to him. Ask his opinions. Hear his voice. Look into his warm, brown eyes and listen to his wise perspective and counsel. He was a quiet, private man and was loved by all. I miss him so.

This has been a very difficult year for me. Some of my closer AWD friends know of what I speak. I’m glad to see the year come to an end. But I have faith that next year will be better. And as tough as this year was for me, many others have it far worse. I enjoy the undying love of my children and family. I have a good job and warm home. I have my health. And I have so many wonderful friends who are a constant source of strength and support. They touch me in ways that keep me astonished. My AWD friends are so incredible in their love and strength and I love you all.

I’m emotional writing these words. I usually try to ignore Christmas as long as possible because of the pains past and current. But once Christmas Eve comes around my heart is full of love, humility, and hope for a better day. For us all.

Merry Christmas, my beautiful friends! And thank you for being such an important part of my life! You are such an inspiration. I am humbled by your greatness and generosity.

1. Merry Christmas AWD…have a good one.

I’m grateful we met up long ago elsewhere, your talent with your way with words always grabbed out to me. You have a special gift that way…we’re all the luckier for it. Very glad you went independent and started your own great site.

Wishing you the best of the New Year too.

2. inagadadavida says:

Merry Christmas, AWD and all of y’all!

3. Merry Christmas AWD. I know of what you speak of the loneliness. Especially at this time of year. Good friends do make a difference though.

4. A merry Christmas to you, as well, AWD. And thank you for your wonderful commentary throughout the year. I always look forward to your humor and insight; you really are a top-notch writer… Whatever ails you, I pray things will turn around for you in 2014. Personal tragedy and disappointment come around more often the older we get, and the holidays have a way of rubbing salt into the wounds; but then again, there’s that baby who came to remind us that this life is not all there is. The best is yet to come! I hope that is at least some comfort.

BTW, thank you for the video. That happens to be my favorite Christmas carol.

5. From me and mine to all of you and yours MERRY CHRISTMAS and may God bless you and keep you.

6. I don’t know when I’ve read a more (com)passionate post(anywhere) than this, and it’s spiritually beautiful. Christmas has been bittersweet for me for 33 years now — mom died Dec. 22, 1980. I have since lost the wife, and last year my best friend(adoptive brother). I do miss them all; each filled a very special niche in my heart. God has been there each time and lifted me from the ashes of sorrow, and when I let Him, filled the void with joy. God bless you AWD, you’ve given me a new “family”; and Merry Christmas, bro’.

7. Merry Christmas to AWD and the whole family here.

Wonderful post Dude.

8. Merry Christmas again AWD…Whittle brilliance

9. KennakaKeeper says:

One of the things I’m grateful for is finding this site. I thought I was the only one who seemed lost at times during my life. with all the trials and tribulations and people who thought I wasn’t wrapped to tight with my opinions, but here I am wanting to thank you for letting me know it’s ok to speak our minds no matter what others think……..
    I wish you and your Family the best Christmas ever…..
    Also to Bigtimer (you’re something else Lady)a wonderful Christmas to you and your Family
    And the rest of you folks that are regular posters along with those who reply, My thank to all and the best Christmas ever…..
    Kenn
    PS: The voices in my head echo my words.

Jesus is the reason for the season

11. Dave in Texas says:

Thank you AWD. Merry Christmas to all of you and yours. Have a great New Year knowing we have each other. Everyone here is like my family and I wish you all the best.

12. Merry Christmas AWD, and may God bless you with peace, love and abundant joy…

And sometimes he does…

13. Merry Christmas to all the family here.

14. Merry Christmas AWD. Merry Christmas Miles, have a Looooong and prosperous year. Merry Christmas Angry White Imam even though you put the curse of Allah upon me. I’m sorry for stealing two of your wives er goats and will promptly send you a camel and some bacon to make up for my transgressions.

15. Merry Christmas AWD and everyone else here!

16. bargis tryhol says:

Merry Christmas to all!

AWD, I hope Santa brought you somdething fun like in this recent headliner from SatireWorld…

17. Merry Christmas Dude!

18. Merry Christmas!

19. NRAcommander says:

Merry Christmas AWD, keep up your extraordinary writing for many Christmas’ to come!

20. ThisObamaNation says:

A Christmas Message From Edward Snowden
    (Video)

21. Jack Daniels says:

I will not steal your thunder AWD, so let me just say, you remind me in many ways of my own father, whom I lost far too soon.

I genuinely wish you, your family and everyone here a peaceful Christmas, filled with joy and surrounded with loved ones and friends.

I will embrace my wife and remind her why she been my greatest gift from God….aside from His son’s birth. I will thank my children for not grumbling about what they didn’t get this Christmas, and accepting wht they did with sincere humility and gratitude.

I will ask Jesus to give me the strength to glorify him in words and deeds this year as His grace continues to overflow abundantly.

Merry Christmas my friends.

22. Merry Christmas!

23. Mr. Rational says:

The best to you and yours, AWD.  I know that behind such a sense of humor as yours there is always pain.  May you compost it and fertilize joy.

And the same to BigTimer, RedStateNYC, and the other contributors whose posts keep me coming back.

24. master of sinanju says:

Merry Christmas to one and all, may God’s blessings be upon one and all this coming new year. And yes, it is sad that we longer have a beloved family member,friend or even that special pet anymore at this time of year. It reminds me of an old Shirley Temple movie, The Bluebird. The scene where there is an old couple sitting in front of a cottage, and Miss temple’s character shows up with her brother, and the old couple (their grandparents) wake up. The reason they “awoke” is because they were being thought of. Just keep your loved ones alive in your heart, they are never too far away. Christmas was never a sad time for me till recently, remembering all those who have passed out of my life, but I remind myself, the REASON behind the celebration, THE PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE THAT CAME WITH THE SAVIORS BIRTH! And when I think of that most of my sadness leaves me, and I thank God He let me keep my mother another year. So, Mr. Grumpy, and any one else here who has lost a loved one to disease, remember, in Heaven,they will have a new disease free strong body, never to grow frail,old, or susceptible to the march of time. And yeah , I miss my pop too, crusty,salty old seadog that he was.

25. Lazlo is home from his travels. It is good to be home.
    Lars said to tell everybody Merry Christmas to all, and to Fight the Good Fight.

26. Merry Christmas dear friends, from Merrie Olde England. This lovely battered old country is at its best this time of year. God bless and keep you all.

I’ve had a wonderful day so far, but I’ve known painful Christmas times filled with sadness, and my heart goes out to those who suffer them today.

With love,

Liam

27. Jack Daniels says:

Hello BT,

Here’s wishing you and yours a great white Montana Christmas……….it IS Montana right?

How I long to be back in that neck of the woods again.

May you be around those you love, enjoying all that home cooked food….maybe a little too much, and much Chistmas cheer in the way of celebratory drinks!! A warm shot of JD is always nice after coming in from the cold!

A heartfelt Merry Christmas from mine to yours….it’ like we know you, as I am sure many here feel the same.

Take care and stay cozy.

28. Dave Sacco (@dsacco53) says:

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones! Watching my grandchildren makes Christmas much more enjoyable. We’ve all lost love ones ,and in the quiet times between, reflect the memories of them.Take Care!

29. Merry Christmas everyone!! God bless!

30. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, Dude!

31. Looking forward to a really great New Year………it sure as hell can’t get any worse than it has in the past 5 years because of our wonderful president that has our best interests at heart…now can it…….

anyhow, Merry Christmas to everyone here at awd…..hope this year will be a good one for everyone except for commies, liberals,and socialists, you know the democrats……i don’t wish a merry christmas to the dims ….let them eat dog pooh for Christmas dinner and choke…….

Merry Christmas to all and to all a god night and have a happy New Year…….

32. Merry Christmas to all the AWD family.

33. AWD Merry Christmas to you, your family and all the great folks here!

34. Merry Christmas AWD. Thanks for the email about the Dude-o-Caster, pretty cool axe, I’d like to have the right handed model.

35. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Peace and blessings.

36. Merry Christmas AWD and AWD Crew! Thanks so much for brining me into the AWD community all those years ago. Been a God-send knowing there are others out there on the same wavelength as myself. Wishing you and all the rest the very best in 2014!